Calculate Constructuction Budget and Architectural Fees
Use this calculator to determine your construction budget based on size, build quality and performance target, and we can help you determine the appropriate level of professional services and fees required to get the job done.
About this Calculator
- Calculate a construction budget based on a) size, b) build quality, c) performance target.
- Calculate Architectural Fees appropriate to the project size, quality and performance target as compared with a 30yr. energy cost projection.
- Aim at understanding the relationship between the capital cost of performance premiums, with the 30yr. energy cost projections.
- Note: Not all architects will use the same hourly rates, sheet costs, or even construction costs. The Architectural Fees generated by this calculator come from the RAIC’s guide and represent industry averages. for TAI’s rate schedule, please visit this link: Price Tables
- B. Assume min. $150/sf for Commercial Tenant Improvements and Renovations, min. $310/sf to $395/sf for OBC New Construction, min. $400/sf for Passive House SFR Homes. $500-800/sf enters the Luxury zone.
- C. Net Zero Energy Homes have been constructed for a 9% premium over OBC minimum. Add 20% to include grid connected PV systems for offsets. Per 2019 Research by NRC.
- D. Canadian average Total Energy Use Intensity (TEUI) is 203kWh/m2 as of 2015 per NRC. We use 250kW/hr/yr in Ontario as the number to beat to generate cost savings.
- E. Fee percentages tend to reduce with increasing building sizes. Defaults were determined by averaging the high and low fees across a range of building types per RAIC guidelines.
This is intended to provide a simplified estimate of the construction budget and Architectural fees only required for a generic project. Site conditions (ie. Urban, Rural, Sandy soils or Rock Sub-grade) and other considerations (ie. Roads, Well, Septic, Utility, Garages, Sheds, Fencing, Pools, Landscaping, Builder Profit, Permit Fees, Architectural Fees, Engineering Fees, Taxes, etc.) may have significant impacts on a project budget. The best way to determine the budget and fees required for your particular build will be to execute at the very least, a Schematic Design package, which we price at approx. $5/sf for projects over 2,500sf, or based on our hourly rates. For more info on fees, check out this article on Architizer.
To request a contract for services with Thomson Architecture, Inc. please complete our Intake Form. To learn more about our process visit our Process page. For free access to the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada’s Guide to Architectural Fees click here to download
B. Mortgage Calculator
Mortgage Calculator Instructions
C. Sample of North American Construction Costs for Q2 of 2020
Don't take our word for it. Below is a table excerpted from Rider Levitt Bucknall's Quarterly Costing report for North America. Note that costs of construction in the GTA for Q2 of 2020 have escalated nearly 14%.
Thomson Architecture, Inc. has used reasonable efforts to provide accurate and current information in the calculators on this website, but we cannot accept any liability for the content and we make no warranty or representation of any kind concerning the accuracy or suitability of the information contained on this website for any purpose. We also provide links to other websites as a convenience but not as an endorsement. You should never rely on, or take, or fail to take any action, based upon the information on this website alone without independent verification. Users should obtain appropriate legal and technical advice. The information presented here is for educational and information purposes only, which you may use at your own risk.